That’s the phrase used to explain 6-foot-3 sophomore Julien Gomez of La Mirada, one of many prime highschool basketball scorers in Southern California with a 26.6 scoring common.
He takes it as a praise as a result of it means all of the methods he has explored to make baskets is paying off.
“I’m completely happy individuals name me artful as a result of me and my coach having been engaged on all my craftiness, engaged on my deal with, engaged on my shot,” he mentioned. “It simply feels good persons are lastly seeing the work I put in.”
Depart him open for a three-point try and it’s swish time. Guard him carefully and he is aware of the right way to drive and use both hand to attain. Ship him to the free-throw line and it’s swish time once more.
His latest video games embrace 29 factors in opposition to Downey and 26 factors in opposition to Paramount. He had 30 factors in an upset of Santa Ana Foothill.
Off the courtroom, he wears glasses and appears like Clark Kent. On the courtroom, carrying no glasses, he makes use of his basketball superpowers to create havoc and defensive issues for opponents.
“I believe the three ball opens up my driving lane,” he mentioned. “It’s simpler to blow by individuals.”
His instincts, work ethic and flexibility make him an thrilling participant to comply with as he continues to develop.
“I have to maintain engaged on my athleticism, get my physique prepared for the subsequent degree,” he mentioned. “I generally is a higher level guard in my imaginative and prescient and my deal with.”
He is aware of the right way to execute a windmill dunk, so watch out about underestimating his athleticism.
There are others this season who’ve stepped ahead and thrust themselves into the highlight after being considerably nameless.
- Darnez Slater, Eastvale Roosevelt: The 6-3 junior got here via with a 52-point efficiency Thursday evening in opposition to Corona Santiago and has been the most effective gamers within the Large VIII League, which has been dominated by two-time defending Open Division champion Corona Centennial. He’s averaging 20.4 factors.
- AJ Robinson, Crenshaw: The most effective gamers within the Metropolis Part, Robinson has led the Cougars to a 21-2 report. He had 37 factors in opposition to Washington Prep. He’s a terrific senior level guard and chief.
- Dylan Black, Manhattan Seaside Mira Costa: Depart him open at your personal peril for a three-point try. Mira Costa is 24-1 and Black’s constant taking pictures is an enormous motive. He’s headed to Carnegie Mellon.
- Tim Anderson, Pasadena Blair: The 5-11 freshman is averaging 23.6 factors and has lifted his crew to second-place within the Rio Hondo League.
- Will Smith, Torrance Bishop Montgomery: On a crew with balanced scoring, Smith all the time delivers in huge video games for 24-1 Bishop Montgomery. Unselfish and versatile, the 6-3 senior is quietly plotting to make an influence within the playoffs.
- Tyrone Riley, Downey St. Pius X-St. Matthias: At 6-6, Riley has been a constant offensive contributor for the 22-4 Warriors. The junior is averaging 24.5 factors, 10 rebounds 4.2 assists.