What occurred on the World Cup on Monday?
England 6—2 Iran
- England thumped Iran 6-2 following two objectives from Arsenal winger Bakayo Saka and one from Borussia Dortmund star Jude Bellingham, Chelsea ahead Raheem Sterling, Manchester United ahead Marcus Rashford, and Manchester Metropolis’s Jack Grealish.
- Iran’s Mehdi Taremi, a striker for Porto, scored two objectives.
- Iran goalkeeper Beyranvand was taken off injured after struggling a head damage. His alternative then conceded three first-half objectives.
- The Iran staff declined to sing the nation’s nationwide anthem earlier than kick-off, in a gesture seen as a present of help for the anti-government protest motion at dwelling which has been severely repressed by the authorities.
- Earlier, England was amongst seven European groups — together with Wales, Belgium, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Germany and Denmark — to say their captains wouldn’t be carrying “One Love” armbands to indicate help for the LGBT neighborhood after FIFA threatened to situation yellow playing cards to any participant carrying one in Qatar, the place homosexuality stays unlawful.
- Nationwide soccer associations stated they had been “pissed off” by the “unprecedented” motion by FIFA, saying in a joint assertion “we won’t put our gamers able the place they might face sporting sanctions together with bookings”.
Netherlands 2—0 Senegal
- The Netherlands bought their marketing campaign underway with one of many toughest-looking group fixtures towards African champions Senegal.
- The Dutch got here out on high 2-0 with two late second half objectives from Cody Gakpo and Davy Klaassen, who scored deep into stoppage time. The primary half of the Group A match had ended 0-0 at Al Thumama Stadium because the Dutch had been left to rue missed possibilities.
- The Dutch are with out the providers of Memphis Depay, who was the staff’s high scorer throughout the World Cup qualifying marketing campaign.
- Senegal, too, are lacking a key participant: former Liverpool ahead Sadio Mane.
- “He can break open a match and Senegal will actually miss him – however the identical applies to us, we’re lacking our high scorer and king of the assists,” stated Dutch boss Louis van Gaal, 71, who introduced final 12 months he has prostate most cancers and has been receiving radiation therapy.
- Van Gaal has been essential of awarding Qatar the World Cup however refused to reply political points forward of Monday’s recreation.
- The Netherlands is among the seven European nations whose captains had deliberate to put on “One Love” armbands however who determined towards the transfer on Monday, following FIFA’s menace of sporting sanctions.
- “It’s with a heavy coronary heart that we… needed to determine to desert our plan,” the Dutch soccer affiliation KNVB stated, including that it was “deeply disenchanted” and would now “critically have a look at our relation with FIFA”.
USA 1—1 Wales
- USA and Wales tied 1-1. The previous obtained a objective from by Lille winger Timothy Weah within the first half, and the latter noticed one scored by veteran striker and Los Angeles FC participant Gareth Bale within the penalties.
- Wales has made its first World Cup look in 64 years. With a inhabitants of simply over three million, Wales is the smallest FIFA member nation to qualify for this 12 months’s World Cup — host Qatar acquired an automated berth.
- The USA returned to World Cup motion for the primary time since 2014.
- “Faculties are going to cease to look at our video games,” stated Wales’s Gareth Bale earlier than the match, beaming. “So it’s simply a type of moments that could be a large piece of historical past in our nation, one thing that we’ve all needed for a very long time.”
What occurred on the World Cup on Sunday?
The big swathes of empty seats within the second half summed up the Qatar soccer staff’s disappointing begin to its first-ever World Cup.
The night time began with greater than 67,000 principally Qatari followers filling the cavernous Al Bayt Stadium, having fun with a gap ceremony that showcased the tiny Arab emirate to a world viewers 12 years after successful the suitable to host soccer’s greatest occasion.
It ended with Qatar’s overmatched staff trudging off the sector, its undesirable place in soccer historical past safe and plenty of of its dismayed followers having lengthy disappeared.
The controversy-laced event opened Sunday with the 2019 Asian Cup champions getting outplayed in a 2-0 loss to Ecuador, guaranteeing a bunch staff misplaced its opening recreation for the primary time at a World Cup.
“I might say we felt unhealthy (for our supporters),” Qatar coach Felix Sanchez stated. “I hope within the subsequent recreation they are going to be prouder.”
Ecuador captain Enner Valencia scored each of his staff’s objectives within the first half of a one-sided recreation that wound up being a damage-limitation train for Qatar on one of many greatest nights within the nation’s historical past.